Florida Asphalt Shingle Experts
The process of installing an asphalt shingle roof is actually quite complex. There are many steps, each of which is selected to maximize the appearance and to increase the longevity of the installed system.
But, back to the installation process. Here are the steps we follow to ensure a top-quality residential roofing job and a stress-free roofing experience.
- The entire site perimeter will be inspected for items that may get damaged in the roofing process — these will be moved away from the work area
- Tarps will be spread around the perimeter of the home and over the shrub beds to protect any plants and to collect falling debris
- A dump trailer will be placed in a convenient spot to receive demolition and waste material
- Shingles and underlayment will be stripped away in sections starting at the top and working down
- The entire roof deck will be inspected for rotted or damaged wood
- Unsuitable decking will be replaced with new material
- The entire roof deck will be nailed to meet the current building codes and the most recent Hurricane Retrofit Manual requirements.
- The soffit and fascia will be inspected, and the owner notified if repairs are required
- For general roofs, a woven synthetic underlayment will be used
- For upgrade roofs, a self-adhering modified bitumen membrane will be installed at all eaves, valleys, penetrations, and other leak-prone areas
- The woven synthetic underlayment will then be used in other areas, overlapping each horizontal run by 3 inches and each vertical seam by 18 inches — the underlayment will be fastened with plastic cap nails every 1 foot and within 1 inch of each edge
- For a further upgrade, a heavier woven synthetic underlayment can be specified and used
- The drip edge will be cemented in place along the perimeter and fastened to the deck with roofing coil nails spaced 4 inches apart
- All nw accessories – vent-pipe boots, exhaust vents, pitch pockets, etc. — will be installed
- Two inspections by the local building department will take place:
- An in-progress inspection to check the deck and the underlayment installation
- A final inspection to check the shingle and accessory installation
- A final walk through by the Project Manager for ultimate quality control.